Image Map

For the love of ZUMBA....

19 January 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Day was definitely not a good for the Godfrey's. It started off fine, Sam and her mom took a Zumba class as I was down stairs lifting weights. Out of nowhere the loud speaker comes on and a voice says "Code blue, we have a code blue. All medical personal to the Group X room immediately". As I hear this I'm thinking that maybe I should head on over there and see what's going on. Then the loud speaker comes on again and this time I hear "Thomas Godfrey, please come to the Group X room."

Now I'm worried.

As I sprint up the stairs and look into the room I see Sam sitting up against the wall. My first thought is that she passed out during class, but as I walk into the room, I see her right leg straight out and two 24 hr Fitness employees looking at it. When I finally got next to her Sam's mom proceeded to tell me the story. During class, Sam went to do a move and when she planted her right foot she felt a snap, heard a pop and then her knee gave out. From there she was not able to stand up so she pulled herself over to the wall. Finally the instructor stopped the class because she could see that something was wrong.



After a few minutes one of the employees informed us that an ambulance was already on the way. Once the ambulance arrived they checked her vitals and looked at the injury. It was a definite that she was going to have to go to the hospital and get it checked out. Even though we thought that we would be able to get her down to the car and drive her over to the hospital, the only was downstairs was on the stretcher and once she was on the stretcher, they couldn't allow her to get off of it.


So.... She got a nice ride in a shiny ambulance all the way to the hospital. Once at the hospital, Sam was admitted to the ER and it became a waiting game. A nurse would come in every now and then to check on her. Then finally the doctor came in after about an hour of us being there. He said that Sam most likely has a torn MCL but that we wouldn't know for sure until we had an MRI done. They still did X-Ray's just to make sure nothing was broken but once that was all done the nurse put her in a knee immobilizer and gave her crutches. At this point we were able to go home and put her into bed.

We decided to stay at her parents house for a while so that she could have somebody check on her at all times. Once we got back to her parents house we got her into bed so that she could rest. At this point all we could do is relax and start making appointments to see the orthopedic surgeon and to get an MRI.



At this point there is really not much else we can do but wait and see what the doctor says. I will update everybody on her status as soon as we get back from the doctor.

Zumba -> Ambulance -> ER -> Brace.

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment