At 5 am the nurse came back into my room and checked me. I
was at a 3 ½ - almost a 4 and still 50% effaced. I was hoping that magical
number would have been a 4 or 5 but Ill take a 3 ½ any day if that meant that I
could have some pain medicine. The nurse let me know that I was far enough
along to get an epidural if I wanted it – and boy did I want it!
It was about then that we called my mom and let her know
that I was at a 3 ½ and they were going to get the anesthesiologist. Within that next hour the
anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself to me and asked that everyone
leave the room with the exception of one person. Thomas decided that it would
be better if Mom was there with me so he excused himself.
I was a little nervous about the epidural but I knew that I
would definitely want it. The nurse asked me to bend over as far as I could and
relax my shoulders. I remember thinking to myself… this is going to hurt! Next thing I know the nurse whispers that
it’s almost over. A minute or two later the anesthesiologist said I was all
set. It was so not that bad at all! Moments later the nurse was leaning my bed
back and propping me up so that the medicine distributed evenly. My legs were
starting to get super heavy. But finally there was a little relief.
By now it was about 8:00 and Dr. Tyre came by to check on
me. I was at a 4. She got me started on some Pitocin and antibiotics. I am GBS
positive. Its not something that effects me as much as could effect Mason during delivery. He could get really sick so
they treat me to protect him. About 15 minutes later Dr. Tyre broke my water;
hoping to get things moving! Thomas walked in just as she was leaving. He had
been down eating breakfast with his dad. I think he was a little sad when I
told him that she was here to break my water because he missed it. This is when
they decided to place an internal fetal monitor on Mason because we were
struggling to get a good read on the normal monitor.
Around 10:00 I was starting to get a little uncomfortable. I
just thought it was how I was laying so I tried to move positions. About an
hour later the pain was getting pretty bad. I asked Thomas to get the nurse who
in turn got the anesthesiologist.
I explained to him that I was having pain in this specific area. It was
deep in my hip and felt like I was getting stabbed over and over again in the
same spot. The anesthesiologist said that sometimes when the medicine goes in
there is a “pocket” in either of the
hips. He ended up giving me a shot of medicine straight into my epidural IV –
instant blissful relief. I actually ended up falling asleep for about an hour
if I remember correctly. When I woke up I had a lot more visitors than I
remember having when I fell asleep. It was nice to see so many friendly faces.
![]() |
| Talking to Missy on the phone |
At 12:30 or so the nurse came in to check me – I was at a 5
as of now. I was progressing about 1 cm every 2 hours. I felt like it was
taking forever. The nurse called and gave Dr. Tyre an update – the thought of a
c-section was starting to sound a little bit more like a possibility. I didn’t love the idea but I was
committed to doing whatever I needed to do for Mason. We updated Sarah, our
birth photographer, and she decided to come down early to get some shots just
in case I ended up needing to have a c-section.
About an hour and a half after my first shot I started to
have some severe pain again. I kept telling everyone I would be okay if it
wasn’t just in this one spot. The
contractions started coming quicker and closer together. My mom was holding my
hand and rubbing my head during each contraction. I tried to breathe but the
pain was getting pretty crazy. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes.
Around 1 pm I had gotten to the point where the pain was so intense; again..
just in that ONE spot, that we got the anesthesiologist in there again. Crying between shallowed bereatheing I tried to be tough. At this
point he gave me the option to either get another shot or redo the epidural. In
fear of the second epidural not fixing the problem I told my mom I wanted to
try another shot. Shot went in – legs went completely numb – happy Sam.
{Now… I want this birth story to be
accurate as possible which is the only reason why I am including this next
part. During this entire time I have to just put it out there my normally amazing
and wonderful husband had a lapse in judgment and thought that mid labor would
be a great time to take a nap – peacefully he slept between both his Mom and
Dad on the couch in the birthing suite. I could have pinched him really good in
the thigh if he was closer. As his wife lay across the room in pain. I think
there may have been some angry tears shed at this point.}
About 2:30 came around and the shot was wearing off. The
pain was stronger and harder than it had ever been. Thomas was standing by my
bed side and I was cringing. I wasn’t breathing as well as I should and would
almost hold my breath when a contraction would get too strong. I remember my
mom trying to keep my calm but the pain was too much. Thomas decided that it
was time to get the anesthesiologist in here to just take out and redo my
epidural. My nurse was busy helping with another delivery so a random nurse
came in to check me before calling the anesthesiologist I was at a 6; plenty
enough time at this rate to get the doctor here and epidural taken out and
redone. The doctor went and did another epidural for a patient and then would
be in.
All of a sudden the pain
changed. There was this horrible pressure and I felt like I had to go #2. The
urge was not going away. I remember getting a contraction and yelling out, “I
have to poop.” Everyone looked at me funny. Thomas ran and got the nurse. He
wanted to tell her I needed a bedpan. The nurse came in running and checked me
– within less than a half of an hour I went from a 6 to a 10 and Mason was
coming!
![]() |
| Sending the "He's coming" text to family |




















I'm just reading through all of these!! So fun! First off, you were the cutest pregnant lady and second, your baby is adorable! Thanks for posting these!!
ReplyDeletemadelineandtyler.blogspot.com