As I was typing this all together I thought it was a better idea to break the “Wedding Day” into (3) different parts. To me the day was really… three different pieces and so it made more sense that way. Not to mention that I wanted to make the temple part of the day a little more spiritual, because...well, it was.
I had the biggest butterflies in my stomach as we got off the freeway on Charleston. I could feel my legs shaking and the underside of my kneecap becoming moist. Papa tried to keep the conversation light hearted but let’s be honest… I was getting scared and nothing was going to help now. My mom kept glancing over at me and would reach down occasionally and grasp my hand. She was so put together that afternoon…. She was glowing.
We turned left onto Hollywood and time stood still. Could we not just be there already? I was longing to see Thomas. I knew that if I could just see his face I would be okay. Why weren’t we there yet? What was taking so long? The car crept as we turned into the Las Vegas Nevada Temple parking lot. Peace, be still…. Still? How could I be still at a time like this. I’m freaking out! We found a parking spot right up front. We all crawled out of the car and stood on the hot, black asphalt. June, probably not such a great idea in Vegas! I could see Thomas standing in front of the doors. He looked like a mirage, so perfect. Mom had my dress and I had my bag and we headed towards the entrance. My mind started to race.. Am I ready for this? There was a beautiful bride standing in the distance taking pictures and all I could think about was how in just a short hour or so, that would be me.
We rounded the corner and there he was. Clear as day, handsome as ever. He was glistening in the sun as he stood fidgeting with his belt. I could tell her was nervous… maybe anxious was a better word. Our eyes met and my lip started to quiver. There was this rush of excitement… such excitement I almost cried. But, I didn’t. Not yet. We hugged for a few moments until someone reminded us that it was still 105 outside and we could hug each other for the rest of our lives… we might need to get inside now.
We smiled and walked inside the temple for the LAST time as Thomas Godfrey and Samantha Benites. We were greeted by many temple workers who grabbed all our bags and we were ushered into the records room where we waited for Sister Anderson. We did all of our paperwork needs and sat there, mostly in silence the entire time. One of the last things Sister Anderson did was ask my soon to be husband and myself if there were any last questions we had.
Well… here’s how the next five minutes went:
Sam: Well actually Thomas and I were planning on walking out separately after the sealing. Where do we need to tell our family to go?
Sis. A: Oh no! Here at the temple after you are sealed you always walk out together, always.
Sam: SO, if I don’t want Thomas to see my in my wedding dress until we are outside I cant?
Sis A: No. At the temple since you are already sealed they two of you will walk out together. Your fathers will generally open the door for you and the two of you walk out as husband and wife for the first time.
Sam: *thinking to myself…. THIS IS NOT HOW I WANTED MY DAY TO GO, gosh dang it. I WILL NOT BE WALKING OUT IN MY DRESS!.... starting to tear up… NO! This is MY DAY and I AM NOT GOING TO WALK OUT THAT WAY! * Okay Thanks Sister Anderson.
Thomas could tell I was not thrilled about this decision at all. Hearing that news almost brought me to my first bridezalla moment. I just didn’t understand.
Once I was dressed in all white I followed Sister Taylor, my bridal assistant, upstairs to the sealing room. Because it was still 20 minutes until the sealing they made Thomas and I sit in a separate room all alone. Of all days to spend with Thomas I was having such an emotionally hard time being with him, alone. I was overwhelmed with feelings of true, wholehearted LOVE for this man. And… here I was, going to be marrying him any minute. I would look at him and tears just would well up in my eyes. So, this resulted in me NOT looking at him. At least not that much. We were sitting there talking..... and all we could talk about was how long it was taking from them to come get us. My emotions were on a roller coaster. I felt like I could throw up any minuet. It was supposed to be a special and sacred time for Thomas and I to share deep and meaningful conversation and all I could do was tap my foot and wipe the sweat from my palms on the tissue in my pocket.
At one point Thomas even grabbed my hand and asked if I wanted to share in a word of prayer. I did, so so so badly, I did want to. But I couldn’t. Him just saying the word prayer made me start crying. The spirit was so strong… I knew I wouldn’t be able to control myself once he muttered the first word. I would have loved to have heard that prayer that day. And all the things Thomas would have said and all those things we were grateful for. But, I know that one day… we will have the same opportunity and I will get to hear “that” prayer. The clock that hung on the wall sounded like church bells. With every tick and second getting louder and more fierce. 3:09. 3:10. 3:11.
Finally almost twenty after three we were lead into the sealing room. As we neared the entry way Sister Taylor informed us of where to sit. She said, “Sam when you walk in you will be sitting in the empty chair by your mother. (My heart sunk…”my sweet, sweet mom.”) … she continued… and Thomas you will sitting in the empty chair next to your best friend. “ Thomas looked a little confused, Sister Taylor clarified. “David..” It was then for the first time that I saw something different in Thomas’ eyes. He light up the minuet the “D” rolled off her tongue. Thomas loves his friend David. And respects and looks up to him to much. It was such a true miracle and blessing for Thomas to have David sitting by him in that sealing room.
The only other things I will mention about the sealing is that it was the most amazing twenty minutes of my entire life. Not only because during those short minuets I was sealed and married to my best friend for all time but because we were surrounded by so many wonderful people, who truly love and care for us immensely. The spirit was so strong in that room. During the short words of advice given to us by Brother alger I would glance over at Thomas occasionally and he was glowing. I had never seen him smile like he did during those few moments.
Here are a few of our words of wisdom:
- 1. Kneel together at the end of every evening and share in a word of prayer together. Express your love for each other to your Heavenly Father.
- 2. Be quick to say, “I’m sorry.”
- 3. Be courteous… Remember to always say “Please” and “Thank you.” (Even when its something simple.)
- 4. Thomas, be willing to help your sweet wife around the house. Remember that caring for the children will be a full time job and responsibility. Treat her to an occasional evening alone while you tend the kids. Help with dishes and other day to day household duties. She will love and appreciate you for it.
And that was it. We were now an officially, Thomas Joesph Boyd Godfrey and Samantha Ann Godfrey. Husband and wife. For all eternity.
Thinking back to that day and those feelings. I am so proud of Thomas and I for the decision we made to be married and sealed in the temple. Many people tried to change our mind and convince us other choices and options were better and that we could always get sealed at a late time. But, for Thomas and I, that time was June 26th two thousand and ten.
I am so grateful for Thomas and his worthiness to enter the House of the Lord and to be worthy to be married in the temple. I am grateful for my parents and the example they set and for the way they raised me. They always wanted what was best for me and supported me in all the decisions I made.

No comments:
Post a Comment