Today is Sunday September 11, 2011.
Today marks the 10th anniversary of September 11, 2001.
America would never be the same.
I can remember so vividly that morning. I was 11, in the sixth grade and attending Grant Sawyer Middle School. School started at 8 am and my during my usual routine my alarm would go off around 630; but not that morning. I remember my dad walking into my bedroom and telling me to come to his room. He was sitting in his infamous black chair. The TV was on and showed a building surrounded by black smoke. I didn't understand entirely what my dad was getting so worked up about until I sat down. I remember my mom getting out of the shower as we all sat in shock.
“Holy crap!” is the only thing my dad could get out of his mouth. I walked out of their bedroom and started to get ready for my morning. Dad didn’t leave his chair very much that morning.
Dad scared us again as he yelled for all us to hurry. Just as I turned the corner to his room there it was, the second plane approaching the tower. We, as did a million others, watched live as the second plane crashed into tower number two.
School was different that day. I remember sitting in my explorations class and talking about the tragic incidents.
September 11, 2001 changed everything for America. It is so crazy to think that one day my sons and daughters will be sitting in class learning and reading about that tragic day in their textbooks.
For journaling purposes I asked T to put some of his thoughts together about what he remembers…
“With the type of memory that I have, I have a hard enough time remembering what I did last week let alone a full decade ago. But what I do remember, I remember pretty well. I remember walking down the hall to my mom’s sound of pure heartbreak. I walked into the living room to see her sitting on the couch watching the TV and on the TV was a picture of a skyscraper with black smoke pouring out of it. She quickly stood up and walked into her bedroom. Minutes later both her and my dad walk out of the bedroom and sit back down on the couch. They just sat there speechless until it was time for me to go to school. I remember getting to school and hearing all the whispers of the other kids asking each other "did you see what happened?" When it came time for school to start my teacher was mad at everybody because we wouldn't stop talking. She asked everybody what was so important that we couldn't stop talking. Eventually somebody told her of the atrocity that had happened only two hours earlier. When we told her, she looked at us in absolute astonishment. It was at this point that she pulled the TV into the middle of the room and turned it onto the news. We then sat there for the next hour completely silent watching the news.
I don't remember much more about the day other than not doing much schoolwork. I went home after school to find my parents still sitting on the couch watching the news.
What happened that day will always be in my mind and in my heart. I will never forget what happened on September 11, 2001.”





No comments:
Post a Comment