On September 13th; a rainy and gloomy Tuesday morning, Thomas and I got up and headed to the hospital. It was strange the week leading up to surgery I was having such a hard time. My mind kept playing tricks on me and I was having such a hard time. I was starting to freak out a little.
Finally after about an hour or so we were called into the back and they prepped me for surgery. My nurse was such a doll and made me feel really comfortable. My surgery was scheduled for 1 pm but they requested that I get there around 830 am for check in! It was about 11 after I was all ready to go - which meant I would be sitting for over 3 hours until they called me back. The wait wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be. T and I watched some HuLu and waited.
The surgical nurse came and got me and as they rolled me away I could see T at the end of the hallway. It was so surreal. As she pushed me down the hallway I could feel my hands start to sweat. The hallway of the OR was soo cold. Like 15 to 20 degrees cooler than the preopt area. The room was so white and very bright. It was kind of creepy and nothing like you see on TV. The last thing I remember was the surgical nurse covering me with a warm blanket and .... Out like a light I went.
Waking up in recovery was definitely not as freaky as I anticipated. The nurse who was in charge of me and who sat by my bed until I woke up was super nice. I remember it being so hard at first to open my eyes - like almost impossible. In between tries and blinks he would say "Hi Samantha, how are you? Want some pain medicine?" Over and over again he would ask... Do you want more pain medicine? Pain medicine? I can barely open my eyes dude? My eyes felt like they just kept rolling back into my head.
Finally about 25 minutes later I was much more coherent and asked to see Thomas. They finally allowed me to be wheeled Into the room where I was originally. And there he was.... Such a tender moment!
They let me leave about an hour later.... now, let the hell begin.

No comments:
Post a Comment